Kenyan government will spend US$11.7mn to develop city roads

asphalt 3431322 640The Kenyan government will spend US$11.7mn to rehabilitate and upgrade 600 km of roads in Nairobi City

According to Daily Nation, the project will be carried out by the Kenya Urban Roads Authority (Kura) and the Kenya Rural Roads Authority (Kerra).

Kura has set aside US$12.6mn to upgrade 588.60 km of road in the city, and Kerra has allocated US$1.6mn to build 21.2 km of road.

According to the news report, the Kenya Roads Board (KRB) revealed this in the Annual Public Roads Programme (APRP) for the financial year 2018/2019.

Under the programme, Jogoo and Lusaka roads have been allocated US$101205 for the upgrades, while Landhies Road will receive US$37193.

Another US$411087 will be used on the northern and eastern bypasses covering about 60 km.

Other roads targeted by Kura include Spine and Manyanja roads in Kayole, Bogani East, Baba Dogo, Peponi, Josep Kang’ethe, Utawala and Kasarani-Mwiki.

At least 18 major roads, 29 streets and five lanes will be upgraded by the urban road agency in the city centre. Some of the roads to be upgraded are Dubois, Tsavo, Temple, Haile Selassie, Lagos and Taveta.

KRB Executive Director Jacob Ruwa explained, “The fuel levy fund managed by the Kenya Roads Board is shared with the road agencies where Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA) gets 40 per cent, Kenya Rural Roads Authority 21. 8 per cent, Kenya Urban Roads Authority 10.2 per cent, county governments 15 per cent and Kenya Wildlife Service one per cent. KRB retains the remaining 10 per cent which it allocates to road agencies on a case-by-case basis and another two per cent for its operations.”

Three Chinese companies, namely China Wu Yi, Sinohydro Corporation and China Roads and Bridges Corporation, have won tenders to upgrade the roads.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W:

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?